10 February 2008

Queen Elizabeth Saw Us & Didn't Even Wave

True Story: This past July, Kani & I traveled to Budapest, Hungary, and met up with Rick, Holli & Julie Goodman (& Andrew) for a tour of the city after their annual Hungary mission endeavour with Bammel CofC. It was a wonderful experience, Rick is an outstanding tour guide, has an indepth knowledge of the city & it's history. Holli-Julie-Andrew kept us well entertained with their zaniness.

ANYWAY, on our way back to the states, Kani & I stopped in London to take a quick tour of major points of interest-we actually had to switch from Heathrow to Gatwick, (we wanted Business 1st coming home from LGW) so we made an adventure of trudging across the city on public transport, with our backpacks.

Midway across town, we decide to go visit Buckingham Palace. Up for air from the bowels of the Tube, we find ourselves just a couple blocks from the Buckingham Palace Stables. We happily trudge down the sidewalk perimeter, taking in the atmosphere. Near to the great gates of the stables, suddenly we see the gates quickly open, and out roars a very futuristic looking motorcyle policeman. Robocop motions with his arm for us to stop in our tracks. Someone important is about to come out of that gate! Soon other robocops, Range Rovers, and a big shiny maroon Rolls Royce limo drives out of the gate and down the Avenue. No one appears to be inside the limo other than the driver. Off the motorcade goes, and we say "Cool." to each other and continue on around to the front of Buckingham, the fountains, park, etc.

We mingle for about 30 mins with a thousand other people around the front of the Palace, taking pictures, taking a sit at the fountain, etc. Suddenly, here comes the motorcade again, on its way back to the same gate it came out of, and drives directly past us on its way, no spectacle, very unobtrusive and hardly noticed by the crowd. As the limo goes by, we see a little white haired lady inside with a powder blue suit and matching hat. It's Her Highness! Kani is thrilled & gets a couple snaps of the limo.

It was a neat experience to see a famous person so close up, and it really made Kani's day. I enjoyed it too...the only true royalty that I'd ever been close to before was Andy Rooney on 43rd & 7th Ave.

2 comments:

Colter & Elizabeth Lewis said...

Pretty sad that we go to the same church and yet I have to go to your blog to see how your kids are growing. Hannah is too beautiful and old!!!!!!

love you guys!
Elizabeth

erinlo said...

I'm so so excited to see you guys started a blog. I'm sorry about my e-mail- they shut it down- I guess because I'm not in the states anymore and I didn't have a chance to get e-mails from my address book! My new email is erin76@juno.com. PLEASE write me. When are ya'll coming??? I am desperate for some familiar faces right now! Please come!!!!! Love you guys! (And oh my goodness the kids are getting so big.)


In Waikiki, Feb 2010