20 February 2009

P.K. Prerogative

Yesterday I had an enlightening, enjoyable experience with an old friend. We got together at a local Chick-fila, ate a sandwich together, watched Chase run around and play, and to some extent caught up on some 20 years of life, from our college days to the present. Our meeting was initiated by some rather impulsive words on the part of yours truly, and I didn't know what to expect, I must admit. But I was pleasantly surprised.

My friend appeared at our meeting place, with a maturity and wisdom that greatly impressed me, and spoke at great length of the many responsibilities he has taken on in his life of 45 years. I was quite taken by his depth of character and his effort to build on our friendship. Now, simply by a little lunch and some communication, we have a much greater understanding of each other, which is all most of us want anyway from our friends. Hats off to you, Phil.

P.S. Our church is currently studying relationships, and the necessity to "work towards reconciliation instead of being right." In fact, the Bible instructs to leave your offering at the alter and go reconcile with your brother first, if he has some beef with you, and even if your conscience is otherwise clear. Matt 5:23-24. See also Mark 12:28.

No comments:


In Waikiki, Feb 2010